August 14, 2014

Cooking Soup Made Easy: Electric Pressure Cooker & Claypot

Months ago, I posted the ways I steamed all my dishes using the 3 tiers steamer.

Today, I wanna introduce to you my 2 fav kitchen equipments to boil soup. Now,  I don't have time to keep checking on the soup or rather *cough* I usually forget that I'm cooking some soup when I'm babysitting 4 children. So I found these two appliances to be super useful.

1. Electric Pressure Cooker.
I bought my "mini" 2 Litres pressure cooker about half a year ago. I wasn't so sure if I was going to use it regularly, so as a try-out I bought SKG brand from Lazada and it was only RM149.00, and now it's RM146. (I never heard of this brand before this, but apparently the quality is pretty good.) It is good enough to cook for 3 little children (lunch and dinner). But if you want to cook bigger portion, you have to buy the 5 Litres one.


So this is my unit. You can cook rice, porridge, soup, chicken, cassarole etc with it. So far I've tried cooking rice (with vco), butter rice, porridge and soup. So far so good. It's very time-saving but the electricity consumption is quite high.

It keeps warm automatically after cooking. 


2. Claypot
Again, with this pot I don't have to check on the soup frequently. After scalding the meats, I throw all the ingredients (except leafy vegetables which i usually throw in 5 mins before serving) in the pot and let it boil at high temp on the stove for about 5-10 minutes then turn to lowest temp and let it continue boiling for about 2-3 hours. 

The thing about this pot is it reserves the water, so you don't have to worry the soup gets dry. And usually, after boiling for hours, the fragrant of the soup is thicker and the meat is so tender. And this pot is big enough for the whole family.  



So these are my 2 favorites, what's yours?

3 comments:

Andy Chin said...

Khind double boiler is great, if you like chinese-y soup
http://khindonline.com/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=150

Juli Joe said...

Nice.. i saw somebody posted in FB before. I found too many parts to wash.... But yes definitely a good one to have if you love double boiled soup and if you want to have diff types of soup throughout the day :)

Juli Joe said...

Yes yes... that is one smart cooking tool. I used it before, but mine spoiled dy... It saved electricity!