August 28, 2014

Organizing My Kitchen

After watching the food network channel yesterday, I had this urge to tidy up my kitchen. To be realistic, I started with only my dry kitchen. So I went through some of the articles on tips to arrange the kitchen. One of the tips that I really like said that before I can afford the kitchen that I dream of, it is good to make use of what I have.

So last night, I started at 9.30pm and finished at 12.40am. Blasted out some nice chinese pop songs. I kinda enjoyed the night.

Some tips that I bore in mind as I cleaned up:
1. Throw or give or sell away the stuff that I no longer use or I thought I still needed but haven't touched for years.

- I thew away some pots and pans which I thought I should keep for a "back-up", but they are not of good quality anymore (scratches on the cooking surface).
- Went through my medicine cabinets and threw away the expired ones.
- All those teas, coffees, snacks, packaged food.. it's good to dig through and throw away those that no one in the family will ever eat. (and the expired ones too of course).
- Posted some stuff online to sell away, i.e. bottles drying rack, sterilizer, etc. With all the preloved groups in Facebook nowadays, it is not hard to sell the stuff that we no longer use. Thanks Facebook for that!

2. Categorize the kitchen
- I put all the utensils that are frequently used at a place that are accessible.
- Moved the packaged food to the top (hardest to reach) cos the easier you can reach, the more likely you will eat them.
- Moved all the cleaning products to the top shelves so that the children can't reach them.
- Cleared the kitchen countertop. Stored my air fryer & pressure cooker in a convenient place (at least the countertop looks clean and tidy and I can still take those equipments out easily).
- Took out some stuff that are going to expire to a visible place so that I remember to eat/drink them, i.e. tea, supplements, etc.
- All the new unopened products (i.e. honey, jam, etc) went to the same shelf.
- Tidying my "Tupperware" shelf took the longest time, cos some lids were missing, some containers had scratches, and it was so hard to organize them neatly.
- Basically place the kitchen tools according to their category.

3. Wiped the shelves and tables with Dettol to clean and disinfect.


After all the housekeeping and cleaning, it is not the time to sit back and relax though. It's important to maintain and go through the food and meds again every 6 months. And probably I'll have to start cleaning my fridge and wet kitchen soon. I'll remind myself to take pics of before and after this time.

No comments: